copyright

Copyright 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 for all original literary content by author(s)

20 December 2014

Day 35

Seven weeks since my sixteen year old daughter died in a traffic accident.  I haven't gone a day without crying.

Friends and family are gently seeking to "socialize" me-- get me out and around people. 

I have, kind of/sort of, gotten used to tearing up without warning.  Sunglasses and/or an escape route into privacy are my best tools.  Earlier in the week, I grabbed a tissue and muttered under my breath as I wiped my eyes, "A lot of Gabriella in the air today."

I am trying to focus on other things.

I need people.  I need relationships.  I need to get out of my own mind, out of my own inner dialogue.  It is nice and orderly in my mind, and I like it; but I have a heart that needs to be fed by contact with others.

So...

I begin psyching myself up for the upcoming Christmas break and holidays, starting (more or less) with Friday night.

Here is how that went...


AUSTIN, 5:28pm:

Friday night and I am coasting-- or trying to.
Office party tonight, friend's birthday party tomorrow night.
Pleased that I have:
* one reindeer antler on my car (found in road-- symbolizes both Christmas and that I have been in battle!)
* one Rudolf nose (also found in road-- different road-- same day) which my Yoda Christmas ornament hanging from my rear view mirror is currently wearing, and
* a string of white "Advent Lights" draped from sun visor to hand holds across ceiling of my car-- and which drew a laugh from a passing APD officer on my way home from work today.
Just loaded rowdy "Christmas" music on my iPad.
One light day of work left (Monday) and then I disappear into family for few days.
Drinking coffee, now, after five in the afternoon, to shift to a more casual schedule that allows for PEOPLE in my life. I like people-- from what I recall.

AUSTIN, 9:27pm:

So, arriving for the school's office party, wearing my best grin, best suit, flashy tie, I get out of my one-antlered car (with reindeer-nosed Yoda) and overhear four teachers energetically getting out of a pickup truck when one proclaims, "Party time!" with something of a roar.

Intending irony, and teasing about the normal harried quietness I usually see of the teachers arriving at the school, I answer with my own low drawl (which I usually mask, but lapse into when I am tired-- or sad) not far from as "the Stranger" in the Big Lebowski would say it, "You don't know how often I hear that... in this teachers' parking lot... at seven AM... Monday through Friday."

It was a good attempt, and got the laugh and the grins which I was mining for. Two steps later, a hug, and, "I am so sorry, I heard about your daughter... etc., etc. etc."

All. The. Way. To. The. Door.

You know that smell, probably burning calcium, when the dentist is drilling on your tooth? If a moment had a smell, that was probably it.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes... well... he eats you."

I swear, as I table-hopped for the next hour, I never heard so many stories from so many parents with tales of their fifteen or sixteen year old daughters at Christmas.

Okay, I get that they see me and it scares them; and so NEED to talk about what a precious treasure they have. But...

Damn bear.

No comments: